Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Bowie And Miami


This has been bugging me. In Florida, Bowie knives are not allowed to be sold via mail order. In deciphering the legalese gobbledeegook from one government organization or another, the bottom line appears to be this: Bowie's are the favorite of Miami gangs. More of them and their victims fall prey to such heavy blades than any other weapon, and while one can purchase a Bowie FROM Florida, the state doesn't want $3 Chinese knockoffs on every street corner in Miami. One must be 18 to own a knife, and as a concelaed weapon permit holder I can tote a saber around as long as it's hidden from casual view, and this all began when I saw a particularly interesting one in mail from the Sportsmans Guide. But they cannot send it to me, and neither myself, them, nor the Florida officials who keep track of such things, know precisely why.

Again, the Bowie-Hispanic deal is what they mumble about but no one will come right out and say so. Shame. But I found a knife-seller that will, and they are in Jacksonville, Florida.

11" of 440C for $130 isn't too bad at all.

No comments: